Donna is known as a sports dietitian who “walks her talk”, offering practical and scientific insights from a real competitors perspective.
Donna is a registered dietitian (RD) and board certified specialist in sports dietetics (CSSD) and adult weight management by the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics. Her background in nutrition science, together with a master’s degree in educational psychology enable Donna to provide a unique approach to coaching athletes on food related matters so they can reach performance goals.
Donna has influenced thousands of athletes with her nutrition column featured in Silent Sports Magazine (SilentSports), and Race Center magazine (RaceCenter). She has also been interviewed by Selene Yeager in Bicycling Magazine as a nutrition expert. Donna has focused her interest in nutrition on endurance athletes. She did research on energy expenditure and created a nutrition plan for an elite level ultra-distance dog sled driver, which was published abstract in the International Society of Sports Nutrition Journal, 2007, (annual meeting).
Some of the past clients that have consulted Donna for her nutrition expertise include speedskating and weightlifting athletes training at the US Olympic Education Center, Northern Michigan University, collegiate volleyball and x-c ski athletes, alpine USSA skiers, and mountain bike racers. Donna has extensive training in bariatric nutrition, and has helped novice athletes successfully transition their life post-surgery to be healthy and active.
As a competitor, Donna participated in alpine and Nordic skiing during college. Now a master athlete, she continues to compete in Nordic skiing and running. Recreationally, she enjoys swimming, running, canoeing, biking and weightlifting. Daily walks with her dog, Levi, are also a part of her routine.
Donna’s philosophy on diet: “sports nutrition is a science; eating is an art”. Her goal is to blend the two disciplines for a healthier and enjoyable life.
As a sports competitor:
- Alpine ski team, Michigan Technological University, 1975-77
- X-Cnordic ski team, Northern Michigan University, 1977- 79
- Fourteenth place finish in NCAA Division I Women’s x-c Nationals, 1978
- Winner of Novice Women 19 and over division of the Kortelopet x-c race,1978
- Two-time qualifier for the Boston Marathon (Grandma’s Marathon, Duluth)
- Elite wave American Birkebeiner 51 K x-c race, 2008,2009,2011,2012,2013
- Northern Michigan University – Foods and Nutrition, B.S., 1979
- Nursing, B.S.N., 2000
- University of Minnesota-Duluth – Educational Psychology, M.A., 1989
Memberships & Certifications
- ADA Board Certified Specialist Sports Dietitian, 2009
- ADA Adult Weight Management Certification, 2008
- NSCA – Certified Personal Trainer, 2010